When I posted yessterday's article about Carolyn Woo's statement as released by Zenit, one tiny detail caught my eye. I repost it here. Notice - in the very first sentence - that Catholic Relief Services is being billed as "the US branch of Caritas". Am I the only one who did not know this? Here I thought all along that CRS was an arm of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops and wholely controlled by them.
This fact raises a whole bevy of questions:
- Are all donations and grants raised from US sources staying with CRS, or is a percentage of them making its way to the international organization? How much of Catholic's donations to the CRS in-pew collection are being funneled to Cordaid and the World Social Forum?
- How much control do US bishops have over the doings of CRS as opposed to Caritas leadership?
- Does Caritas exert any control over other areas and outreaches commonly believed to be controlled by the USCCB?
- When and how did Caritas become insinuated as a controller of CRS?
- If Caritas is controlling CRS and proiding leadership to the World Social Forum (see the first link for a treatmetn of World Social Forum), would that not mean that CRS and the World Social Forum are sister organizations? It is reasonable to believe that CRS and Cordaid are sister organizations since Cordaid is the Netherlands branch of Caritas.
By the way - if any overzealous CRS employee is reading this and is thinking of asking Zenit to pull this article down in "knee-jerk damage-control fashion", don't bother! It's been archived! Why make yourselves look sillier than you already do?
This is just the latest reason why not one red cent should be given to any outreach run by the USCCB. We don't know where that money is going.