Sunday, May 23, 2010

Pentecost Sunday Tidbit

Another discussion website that I look at from time to time had a question about "speaking in tongues", occasioned no doubt by the fact that today is Pentecost Sunday.  For grins, here's what I posted.  It's just my opinion, certainly open for debate, but here it is, if you're interested.

"I'm going to look at Acts 2:11 outside the "charismatic" box, as it were. The various Jews are admitting that they heard the Apostles in their own languages. Does it then necessarily follow that the Apostles were speaking those languages? No. In fact, given the probable crowd distribution, I think it highly improbable. For instance, let's say St Matthew was preaching to a group. That one group most likely was comprised of several nationalities. They most likely heard Matthew in their own languages - while he was speaking Aramatic! I contend there was a miracle indeed, but the miracle lay in the people's hearing in different languages, not in the Apostles speaking in different languages. By the way, as they recite the various nationalities, I count 16 groups - but there were only 12 Apostles. To me, that's another indication that the miracle lay in the hearing, not the speaking.


By the way - I'm a former charismatic. Been there, done that, won't do so again." (end of post)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful and courteous to others on this blog. We reserve the right to delete comments that violate courtesy and/or those that promote dissent from the Magisterium of the Roman Catholic Church.