Original post below:
A reader local to the area alerted me to this, asking for my support. After doing some research, I share her concerns.
The matter concerns Immaculata School in Durham NC. Please go to their website and then to their drop-down event calendar to the right. Go to Feb 8, to the African American Heritage thing. You'll see that the guest speaker is Vernetta Alston. She is a member of the Durham City Council. She also pretends that she is "married" to another woman. The venue for this event appears to be on school property. No Catholic institution is permitted to honor one who lives in manifest mortal sin.
For all across the country:
- The contact information for the school is on their webpage. The principal should be called to ask that the invitation to Alston be rescinded.
- The school is in the Diocese of Raleigh. I have linked to the diocesan website so that we may contact the offices of Bishop Luis Zarama.
For faithful Catholics in the locality, particularly parents of students in that school:
- If the invitation is not rescinded, consider a picket of that event or a protest from inside it.
- Make sure your children don't attend it by keeping them at home that day, explaining to the principal why they are absent
- Network with others like-minded so you can be informed about future problems to take corrective action.
We don't have a whole lot of time so we need to move quickly. Spread the word of this around, particularly to any contacts in the Durham area.