Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Sentimentality Over Truth - A Recipe For Disaster

In an issue of Our Sunday Visitor I saw an ad for a children's book entitled "Arthur The Clumsy Altar Server".  The blurb states, and I quote, "In this endearing children's story filled with charming illustrations, Arthur demonstrates perseverance, humility, and an unquenchable love of the Lord in pursuing his dream. Children will learn from Arthur that what matters most is the sincere desire to serve God - not performing perfectly."

I haven't read the book.  I don't think I need to do that, to detect a subtle, but real problem with the thinking behind it.  I highlighted the problematic phrases.

What I do not glean from this blurb is the acknowledgment that the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass is most deserving of perfection - not only in intent but also in actual performance.  It is the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass and is about perfect worship of Jesus, not anyone "pursuing their dream".  While Arthur may mean well enough, that in itself is not sufficient.  We must not only mean well, we must actually do well.  Anyone who claims that "meaning well" is all that matters is in serious error, placing mere feelings above actual tangible and measurable accomplishment.

It seems that this Arthur has issues with chronic clumsiness.  I didn't read the book so I don't know if Arthur overcame his clumsiness or not.  The illustration on the book cover portrays clumsiness of the sort that would cause disruption and distraction from Holy Mass itself and probably a fire hazard to boot.  If he didn't overcome his clumsiness, one would hope that he'd have the humility to admit that he would not be suitable as an altar server and would pursue service of God via different means.

I cannot help but notice that this book was written by a woman.  I've noticed that women, more so than men, are prone to place feelings over facts and to gloss over unpleasant truths to "spare feelings."  Perhaps this is why liturgies today, particularly Novus Ordo liturgies, tend to be somewhat sloppy and sappy.  Now before you portray me as some misogynistic ogre, please be advised that I myself am a woman.

Where else have we seen this "pursuing dreams" and "desire to serve God" being joined at the hip?  Oh, yes!  The "woman-priest-wannabee" movement!  They portray themselves as so "sincere" and thus they're so, so "hurt" that Jesus, through His Church, wills the priesthood to be for men.  I think we can also see that in "liturgical dancers", the choir being moved to the front of the church, etc.

There is a world of difference between "following dreams" versus "pursuing vocations" when it comes to being at God's service.  As John the Baptist said, "He must increase.  I must decrease".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful and courteous to others on this blog. We reserve the right to delete comments that violate courtesy and/or those that promote dissent from the Magisterium of the Roman Catholic Church.